Position Details Director of Music and Worship (Des Moines, IA)
Date Posted: May 1, 2019
Job Description: Job Title: Part-Time Director of Music and Worship Organization Name: Immanuel United Methodist Church Organization Website: www.immanueldsm.org Salary Range (variable with responsibilities): $12,000-$31,000
Job Summary: Immanuel United Methodist Church in Des Moines, Iowa is seeking a part-time Director of Music and Worship for a flexibly structured position to begin August 1, 2019. Duties, scope of responsibility, and position size are negotiable and dependent upon the skills and interests of the candidate. This position will provide leadership and support for our Worship Area and all musical ensembles at the church. Primary responsibilities might include leadership of our traditional worship service as Organist, directing our Chancel Choir and/or Praise Ringers (handbells), accompanying the choir or other ensembles, planning and implementing worship services, and volunteer recruitment.
The Director of Music and Worship role could include the following functional variations:
1. Choral Director and administrator, with separate PT organist ( 12-15 hours/week, $12,000-$16,000)
2. Organist and administrator, with separate PT choral director ( 12-15 hours/week, $12,000-$16,000)
3. Organist/Choirmaster and administrator (18-21 hours/week, $18,000-$23,000)
4. The handbell director and/or choir accompanist position could be added to the Director of Music and Worship’s responsibilities, or separate positions could be hired.
5. A full-time position would also include a non-music work area, such as youth ministry or communications and might be negotiated in special circumstances ($38,000-$42,000)
Immanuel United Methodist Church is located between the Merle Hay and Beaverdale neighborhoods in Des Moines. The church has a membership of just under 500 with attendance of 180. Our sanctuary was completed in 1968 and features a Casavant organ Opus 2957 (2 manuals, 19 stops, and 26 ranks) and Yamaha Baby Grand Piano. There are two services every Sunday, one traditional and one contemporary. Immanuel has a strong and vibrant music program, including the Chancel Choir, Praise Ringers (5-octave ensemble), a brass ensemble, children’s choir, Conspire Praise Band, and a new youth band. Additionally, Immanuel produces concerts and cantatas throughout the year and regularly travels into the community to share the gift of music.
A successful candidate will be an experienced and gifted musician, a team player, and a strong leader. Interest in the contemporary service is not necessary, but we are interested in more collaboration among our various ensembles. Salary is negotiable and dependent on qualifications, duties, skills, and status of the position.